Thursday, December 18, 2014

Worry.

“Worry is a misuse of the imagination.”
Dan Zadra


There are thousands and thousands of quotes when it comes to the art of worrying. At least that is what my Google search is telling me at 3am this morning, as I cannot sleep, riddled with worry. The quote above truly resonates with me, as I have always had a very wild and vivid imagination. Normally upon falling asleep each night my mind takes me to far away places (very happy places) and I fall asleep to dream about very weird, very silly things. I have never thought about a "good" imagination being associated with a deep level of worry although now that I do it makes a lot of sense. Just as my mind can make up an elaborate day dream where Chris and I travel the world with our children while learning different languages and saving orphans and living with dolphins...it can also go to a deeper, darker place, where I constantly think of all of the things that could go wrong. I have always deeply appreciated my sense of imagination. My imagination makes boring situations not so boring. My imagination has made nannying 100% more fun as I could relate and be silly with children on an entirely different level. I know I get my imagination from my mother, although I am pretty sure she doesn't have the worry side as I do. She is very much able to "live in the now", and has learned that stressing about tomorrow will do absolutely nothing for you.

Before this pregnancy I worried a little, but I ultimately knew that everything was going to be just fine one way or another. Now that I am pregnant I worry to the point of giving myself anxiety. I worry to the point of needing to Google "worry" at 3am when I should be sleeping. I worry to the point where I can not sleep... because my mind is too wildly worried.

I know tons of mothers who worry, even tons of seemingly laid back mothers who have a million different anxieties when it comes to their children. Is this part of the territory? Now instead of minimally worrying about yourself you have to maximally worry about another human being, one that for a short time you are solely responsible for? After nannying for extremely uptight mothers in the past I have always said I would never let myself turn into that person. I said I would still be fun and laid back and "careful - but not crazy". I see the mothers who cannot let their children climb a play set on their own in fears of the child slipping and falling. I see the parents using sippy cups until children are well past the age of being able to hold a "big kid cup" on their own in fears of the mess they may make. These things very well could happen, and do happen often, but does that mean we must hover under our child's every move to protect them from ever making a mistake or having an accident? I hope not.

Baby Juniper hasn't actually entered the real world quite yet, but I find myself worrying non-stop. Not just about pregnancy and birth related accidents, but about things months and years away. My once happy go lucky dreams have turned stressful. I woke the other night from a very vivid dream that I had already had our sweet baby girl. In the dream she was still on a 2-hour feeding schedule yet I kept forgetting and not feeding her until the 4 hour mark. I kept wondering why I was such a bad mother and how could I just go 2 extra hours without thinking to feed our baby?

I look around our house and think of all the things and places where she could hurt herself. I have a running list of what needs to be child-proofed once she is crawling, pulling up, walking. Mind you, some of the best children I have ever had the pleasure of nannying grew up in laid back households where parents did not believe in child proofing their home in any way and taught their children what not to touch...and I swore I would be this way too. But now I view the world as this huge entity just full of things that can hurt our baby. I worry that I will slip and fall while holding her. I worry that our house is too cold or too hot for her to sleep comfortably. I worry that we won't teach her to grow up and love the world around her because despite all of the scariness, it is a beautiful world to be in. I worry that I will accidentally complain about myself in the mirror in front of her and give her self-esteem issues. I worry that when she becomes a teenager she will hit that dark place that many teenagers hit and that I won't be able to reach her.

So, is this par for the course? Am I destined to be the crazy worrying over protective mother (who was once a very laid back, but cautious, fun loving nanny?) Is this normal for pregnancy? I know the crazier dreams can be blamed on pregnancy...I just hope this new found anxiety can be as well.


“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”
Corrie ten Boom,


I do not want the strength of today taken away with my worry for the future. I will find my happy, easy going, fun loving imaginative self again and I vow to not let my daughter grow up with a mother riddled with worry and anxiousness over things that are beyond our control. What will be, will be. I vow to let Juniper climb to the top of the play set so I can see the pride in her face when she accomplishes such a big feat, without her mother standing below begging her to be careful or to come back down. I vow to let her use a big girl cup just like my Montessori students did, so she can learn to wipe up her mess and move on - spilled milk is nothing to cry over. I vow to try daily to show her the beauty this world has to offer, whether it be from the kindness of ourselves or others, the amazing mountain sunsets in our own back yard, or simply through the amount of love that her father and I have for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment